Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Goodbye, Kerr Lakehouse

My dad's parents (Nonnie and Poppa) bought a lakehouse on Lake Murray back in the 70s. They live in Spartanburg and decided that it was time to sell it since they are getting older and it gets harder to keep it up. Poppa turned 80 this year and Nonnie turned 75 that day. I have not been to the lakehouse in many years but I told Nonnie that I wanted to make sure to go by at least one more time before it sold. Unfortunately, that time came quicker than expected and we had to leave the beach early to drive straight to the lakehouse as the keys are being handed over this week. It was a busy weekend but I am so glad that were were able to go and take a lot of pictures.
It was great that we got to see Nonnie on her birthday to celebrate. My mom made her favorite coconut cake upon her request. Take note of my mom's newly developed cake decorating skills.

Happy 75th Birthday, Nonnie!
Adam and Poppa (the apprentice and the gardening mentor)!
Below is my mom sitting on the bedspread that she used her freshman year of college. Apparently, she thought it was a pretty big deal back then.
Nonnie loves birdhouses. She has so many of them at her house and everytime I see them I think of her.
The lakehouse has two docks (one for fishing and one for boating).
Below is the lock for the outhouse before they added the bathroom inside! (I love the way that old peeling paint looks)
Below is Nonnie and Poppa for their last picture on the porch. You can see the gourds hanging in the background that Poppa made himself!

We were all a bit sad that the lakehouse was being sold but smiled at the thought of all of the happy memories that had been made.

No comments:

Post a Comment