Thursday, September 30, 2010

Alaska: Day 4 (06-27-10)

Okay so I realize that the above photo of my dilated eyes looks pretty creepy. Here is the story...

Before I left I for the trip I called my doctor to see if they could give me some medication for my motion sickness. I usually just take a ton of Dramamine but it makes me very drowsy so I thought it would be a good idea to get a prescription for something else. My doctor gave me Tramadol.

I woke up this morning unable to focus on anything up close. I looked down at my hand and found myself blinking like crazy to try to make my eyes adjust. No matter what I did it still looked like I had 10 fingers on one hand. I told Adam that I couldn't see and he said "well, no wonder, your eyes are extremely dilated." We went to go eat lunch and I couldn't see the words on the menu. Adam had to read it to me. I looked like a blind person staring off into space while nodding for him to move on to read the next item. After lunch we went to visit the doctor on the ship. He stated he had never seen eyes as dilated as mine as they didn't even twitch when he shone the light into them. It turned out that I had a rare reaction to the motion sickness medication.

Unfortunately, the symptoms lasted for a few days. The above picture was taken a few days later. The first day, you could not see any blue in my eyes at all! The downside of the dilation is that your eyes are extremely sensitive to bright light (i.e. the ice on a glacier or the glare off of the water) so I am the only one in many of the photos wearing sun glasses. I realize I am giving off the "I am way too cool for this family trip" look in them but it was the best solution I had!

Now on to the rest of the trip...
Tonight was one of two formal nights on the cruise so we took some time to get ready before going up to take some pictures. We enjoyed a great dinner before going to a bar to watch Karaoke and then see a great band. After some dinner and drinks, we finally turned in after another great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment